©2019 by PawBakes

Screenshot 2019-03-12 at 21.24.55.png
 
 
Search
  • PawBakes

Easter Dangers for Dogs

Some of our yummy Easter treats can be extremely harmful for our dogs - but it's not just food that we need to think about! There are so many temptations for dogs at this time of year making it an important time to keep an extra close eye on them.


So what exactly do we need to be aware of? For a safe and happy Easter, we have put together a list of the things our dogs must avoid!



Easter Eggs

There is never a shortage of chocolate goodies at Easter. However, chocolate contains a chemical calledtheobromine’, which is toxic to dogs. The darker the chocolate, the more theobromine it contains and therefore the more poisonous it is. Even small amounts of chocolate can be harmful. If your dog consumes chocolate it can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, seizures, heart problems, hyperexcitability and fits. If you think your dog may have eaten chocolate, you should contact your vet for advice. White chocolate contains very little theobromine and therefore it's unlikely to cause theobromine poisoning. However, it is very fatty and can still make your dog ill, so should be avoided.


Hot Cross Buns Hot cross buns contain dried fruit, including currants, sultanas and raisins – all of which are toxic to dogs. It's thought that the dried forms of these fruits are more toxic than grapes! It's not known why these fruits are poisonous, but they can be fatal. Even small amounts of these fruits can cause stomach problems or kidney failure. Prompt treatment is important. If you suspect your dog has eaten any amount, contact your vet immediately.


Grapes Grapes can often be part of brunches and lunches at Easter. However, grapes can be fatally toxic to dogs and can cause severe kidney damage, which could lead to kidney failure. If consumed, symptoms can include vomiting, diarrhoea, loss of appetite, dehydration and abdominal pain. This would require immediate treatment.



Spring Bulbs It's important to keep spring bulbs away from dogs - especially if they like to dig and chew! Incidents of poisoning are most likely to occur from dogs eating bulbs in autumn when they are planted, or in spring when they begin to flower.


Daffodils They may look pretty but daffodils are poisonous to dogs if eaten, or if water from the vase is drunk. Symptoms can include, vomiting, stomach upset and salivation. Your dog may also appear sleepy and wobbly or in serious cases may experience fitting.


Tulips Tulips can cause irritation to your dogs mouth and gastrointestinal tract which can result in vomiting, diarrhoea and drooling. Serious cases are rare, but could include heart problems and difficulties breathing. It’s best to keep all flowers out of reach.


Spring Crocus Spring Crocus flower in spring and although they are said to be of low toxicity, they can still cause a mild stomach upset if eaten.



Easter Egg Hunts Easter egg hunts are tradition for most families, and quite often include the dog! It's important to keep track of where all the eggs are hidden. If you use plastic eggs be sure they are not a choking hazard, or that your dog cannot get inside them and eat the contents.

If you think your dog may have eaten something it shouldn't have, it's important to contact your vet. Try to provide them with as much information as possible, including what you think they may have eaten, how much you think they may have consumed, when you think they may have eaten it and what symptoms your dog may be showing - if any. It's important to seek advice sooner rather than later.


Wishing you all a lovely (and doggie safe) Easter! x


#HappyEaster

66 views